Recipes taken from “The Official Vermont Maple Cookbook” Second Edition published by the Vermont Maple Foundation
- 2 lbs. dried beans, yellow eye, navy or other
- ½ lb. lean salt pork (optional)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled
- 1 ½ cups Pure Vermont Maple Syrup
- Wash and pick over beans.
- Cover with cold water, add soda and soak overnight.
- In the morning rinse beans and boil gently in fresh water until skins wrinkle.
- Drain off bean water and retain.
Preheat oven to 325⁰.
- Place onion in the bottom of a bean pot or casserole.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Score pork and place on top of beans.
- Pour in bean water just to cover.
Bake, covered, for about 8 hours.
Check periodically, adding bean water as needed.
For the last hour cook uncovered to brown top.