Maple Apple Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose King Arthur Flour
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 Tablespoons cold water
- 8 apples peeled, cored & cut into wedges (use variety: Macintosh, Cortland, Granny Smith)
- 1 cup Morse Farm Grade B Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup all-purpose King Arthur Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/2 Tablespoon unsalted Cabot butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream (as needed)
- Elliott’s Pure Maple Sugar
Heat oven 375 degrees
Prepare pie dough:
- Stir together flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Using a pastry blender cut in shortening till pieces are pea-size
- Sprinkle water over mixture and stir; use hands to mix together thoroughly
- Divide into 2 unequal parts, roughly 2/3rd for bottom crust and 1/3rd for top
- Roll out pie dough for 9-inch pie plate
- Place into your 9″ dish plate allowing excess to hang over sides.
- In large mixing bowl combine apples, flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt.
- Toss until coated
- Transfer apple mixture to lined pie plate
- Sprinkle pieces of butter on top of filling
- Place top portion of dough onto pie
- Crimp edge as desired
- Insert knife in several places through top crust to create vents
- Brush top of pie with heavy cream and sprinkle generously with the maple sugar
Bake pie 1 – 1-1/2 hours, until filling is bubbly and top crust is golden brown.
(To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil or pie shield.